Summer time calls for all the light kinda recipes. Khaman is one such dish. It is not deep fried, not spicy moreover it has no onions or garlic. Khaman is prepared with Gram flour, which makes it slightly heavy. If you want to prepare authentic khaman then replace moong dal paste with gram flour paste.
If you are an Indian then you must be knowing the benefits of moong dal! Moong dal khichdi with ghee and curd is the ultimate remedy for most of the illness especially related to stomach. I tried making khaman with other pulses too. This is my mumma's recipes. She tried it with other pulses too. However, it came best with moong dal. So today I will be sharing this recipe.Split Moong dal without skin - 1 cup
turmeric powder - 1 tsp
fruit salt - 1 tsp
ghee - 2 tsp
mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
coriander - 1 tbsp chopped
asafoetida - 1/4 tsp
lemon - 1
sugar - 1 tsp
green chillies - 3-4 (Optional)
salt to taste
- Soak moong dal for 3-4 hours.
- Make a smooth paste of moong dal. Add little water while blending it. The batter should be of pouring consistency.
- Add turmeric powder and salt.
- The batter is almost ready.
- The last step is to add fruit salt. Not now! I will tell you when.
- Boil water in a steamer.
- When water starts boiling then add fruit salt and pour this batter on a greased plate immediately.
- Place this plate in the steamer.
- Let it cook for 25-30 mins on a medium - high flame.
- Turn off the stove. Pour Lemon - sugar solution on these khamans.
- Keep it like that for next 10-15 mins. It is easy to remove it when it is slightly cool.
- Cut it into square shapes. It will come out of plate easily.For Tadka:
- Heat ghee/ oil in tadka pan.
- Add Mustard seeds and asafoetida. You can also add whole or slit green chillies in tadka.
- Pour this tadka on Khaman.
- Garnish it with fresh coriander leaves.
- Khaman is ready! 😀