South Indian breakfast menu is impeccable! Dosa is one of the most popular dishes in South India. However, in other parts of India people find it difficult to prepare. Batter preparation is very simple. Problem is to get that perfect dosa! Just like the one in the image below 😉 Agree? 😌 Cool! So today I'll be sharing dosa recipe with few tips to get a flawless dosa every time! Just follow this recipe and the tips.
Urad dal - 1 cup
Rice - 2 cup
Salt to taste
Oil/ Butter/Ghee - As you wish😌
- Soak rice and dal for 3-4 hours in water.
- Rinse extra water and put them in a mixer. Take few breaks while mixing it otherwise batter will become very hot and that will result in hard dosas.Wet grinders are best for this purpose.
- Keep this mixture for 8-10 hours or overnight for fermentation in a warm place. It will ferment quickly in a warm place.
- Once it is fermented then you can add salt. That's it! The batter is ready.
- Dosa preparation is exactly same as pesarattu or raw banana dosa.
- Heat a non-stick pan. It should not be very hot. Put 1/4 tsp oil, use a napkin to spread it evenly.
- Pour batter into the centre of the pan with a flat bottom bowl or spatula. Spread it with light circular motions.
- Pan should be warm, not hot. If you are finding it difficult to spread, means that your pan is hot. For cooling it you can wait after each dosa or rub half onion/potato on your pan, or sprinkle some water.
- While spreading the batter, Using a spatula with the flat bottom is mandatory. At least for beginners, it is mandatory. You can use a bowl too. In fact that is a better option.
- Keep the spatula horizontal while spreading. If you are using a bowl then this condition is already satisfied. Try to be a little quick while spreading dosa.
- Don't try to fill the holes. Getting holes = hot pan. Litlle bit holes are okay. If you will try to fill it then it will make the dosa worse.
- Make it as thin as possible.
- Apply oil from sides and on top of it. You can add butter/ghee too. How much? Well, depends on your wish. 😀
- Remove it from the pan once it is brown from one side.
- Dosa is ready! Serve it with sambhar and/or curry leaves and coconut chutney or tomato curry leaves chutney or any chutney of your choice.
Please let me know if these tips helped you in getting flawless dosa! 😃